Friday 28 April 2017

Takin the Mic - Irish Writers Centre

Following on from the activities at Poetry Ireland on Poetry Day I attended another event on Friday evening, 28th April - Takin the Mic - at the Irish Writers Centre supported by Words Ireland.

I had planned to attend and listen as the event was fully booked but I was very pleased to have my name added to the waiting list and was able to take the opportunity to read 5 poems.

The wonderful and brilliant Sonya Kelly was guest MC and she also shared some prose and a poem that sent us across the universe in an egg shell.

Arnold Fanning managed proceedings to ensure nobody exceeded the 5 minutes alloted - tinkling his bell as a warning for those who wished to push the boundary.

There was a good cross section of readings. Speaking with people who attended previously, they said that sometimes there are musical contributions too.

Takin the Mic is a good supportive environment for writers to share their work. I will definitely be back.





Thanks to Tom White for taking this photo of me reading.