Friday 20 May 2022

It's that time of year


Sharpening my scythe, 2020
See a short article and my poem Haymaking published in 
Scythe Association of Britain & Ireland 


This morning I woke to rain watering the earth, and now, a few hours later I look out my study window at the sun glistening on the raindrops in the hedge. Birch leaves wave in the breeze and the firs above Kilmurry stand still near the barely rotating blades of the windmill.

On my birthday I reflect back over the year, over six journals. So much life in words and breaths. I am taken by the ending to Eimear Ryan's essay in Literary Hub 'How Sports Profoundly Shape Us, Even After We Quit': "Gradually, through repetition, we come back to ourselves".

Thanks to everyone who has supported me in any way from a walk and chat to publication and readings. Thanks to the Arts Council for their Agility Award in 2021. 
In April of this year I read at the intimate Plugd venue in Cork as part of the Rebound Festival hosted by Eimear Ryan and I participated in workshops during the year with a number of writers including Matthew Geden, Sarah Byrne and in July with Paul Muldoon. 
I have work accepted for publication later this year by Dreich and The Frogmore Papers and was delighted to have two poems published recently by Agenda.  Other publications over the past year include: